Business License Application In Uganda
What Is A Business License?
A Business License is the process by which business entities/ individuals are authorised to commence business/professional activities by a relevant regulatory authority. This authorisation can be in form of a permit, certificate, levy, license or a fee.
Registration & certification
1. Benefits of registering a company:
- Obtain legal Identity/status
- Safeguard your business name by acquiring a trade name
- Access opportunities like loans, tenders, financing etc
- Business formalization creates more employment opportunities through business expansion
- Enables registration for licenses e.g Investment, trading and taxation licenses
- Better marketing and advertising opportunities for increased clientele
- Improved competitiveness in the regional market
2. Benefits of registering a document:
- Registered documents are admissible in the court of law since they have evidential value in the eyes of the law. This means that un-registered documents are not readily acceptable and admissible in a court of law.
- Registered documents safeguard the interest of a buyer since they take effect against every un-registered documents relating to the same property. In other words, the registration of documents preserves the title of the buyer.
- Registering your document puts it on the government record which renders credibility to the document and makes it a notice to the public at large in respect to the subject matter of the document.
3. Registering a document
- All major features of the document should be clearly and properly represented on each copy of the document.
- The document should be presented in triplicate (3 copies) and duly witnessed.
4. Certifying a document
- Present copies of the document to be certified;
- Pay the certification fees; and
- Hand in the documents and payment receipt at the Business Registry.
How To Apply For A Business License In Uganda
- Search for the business name.
- Reserve the Business Name.
- Obtain Certificate of Incorporation.
- Obtain an Investment License.
- Obtain a Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN)
- Obtain a Trading License.
- Register with National Social Security Fund (NSSF)
- Make a Company Seal.
How to register a foreign business in Uganda
A foreign company is one which is incorporated in another country. If such a company wishes to carry out business in Uganda, it must be registered locally. To register a foreign company, the following documents are required for the above process:
- Certified copies of Memorandum of Articles of Association/Charter/ Constitution and Certificate from the country of origin duly witnessed.
- Registration forms:
- Form 24 – Particulars of Directors and Secretary
- Form 13 – Statement of all subsisting charges
- Form 25 – List of Names and Address of Persons Resident in Uganda authorized to accept service on behalf of the company
- Form 26 – Address and Principle Office of Company.
How Much Is Business Registration In Uganda?
|Registration fees of nominal capital of 1M-5M||Ugx 50,000|
|Registration fees of nominal capital exceeding 5M||1% of Share Capital|
|Stamp duty||0.5% of share capital on new companies with share capital above Ugx 37.50M|
|Registration of certiﬁed copy of memorandum or equivalent||Ugx 1875.00|
Where Can I Register My Business In Uganda?
Company Registration in Uganda is done by The Uganda Registration Services Bureau, an autonomous statutory body established by Chapter 210 Laws of Uganda in 1998. under Section 4(2) of URSB Act the Bureau is mandated to Carry out all registrations required under the relevant laws.
How Do I Register A Sole Proprietorship Business In Uganda?
To register a sole proprietorship with the URSB and receive a business certificate, business owners must submit an online form and pay a one-time registration fee of 24,000 UGX. Once those compliance requirements have been fulfilled, businesses are free to begin trading as officially recognized entities.
What Documents Are Needed To Register A Company?
The following supporting documents are required: o Certified identity copy of applicant; o Certified copies of the Identity Documents or passport of the Directors and Incorporators; o The name confirmation certificate (COR9.
What Are The Legal Procedures To Start A Business?
Legal Guide to the requirements and formalities involved in starting a business
- 1) Deciding on a business name.
- 2) Creation of a founder’s agreement.
- 3) Acquire all the legal licenses and registrations.
- 4) Be acquainted with the relevant tax regime and accounting norms.
- 5) Be acquaint with labour laws.
How Long Does It Take To Register A Business Name In Uganda?
This process may take up to 1hour, and the cost is 20,000ugx. Remember, name reservation takes only 30days to expire or before starting the registration process.
How Do I Check If A Business Name Is Available In Uganda?
- Address: Uganda Registration Services Bureau. Plot 5 George Street, Georgian House, P.O. Box 6848 Kampala Uganda.
- Phone: +256 414 233 219.
- Call center +256 417 338 100.
- Whatsapp: +256 712 448 448.
- Toll free: 0800 100 006.
- Fax: +256 414 250 712.
- Email: email@example.com.
What Is Required To Register A Company In Uganda?
Company Registration entails steps such as name reservation, filing and signing of forms, Memorandum & Articles and submission to the Uganda Services Registration Bureau (URSB).
How Do I Reserve A Business Name In Uganda?
To reserve the name for a company
- Obtain application form from the Uganda Registration Service Bureau or download it through this link: Business registration Form(select Reservation of Name.)
- Fill in the application from and submit it to the assessment window at the Uganda Service Registration Bureau (USRB)
Uganda Registration Services Bureau
Plot 5 George Street, Georgian House, Kampala
P.O.Box 6848 Kampala Uganda
URSB General Line: +256 414 233 21
Call Center: +256 417 338 100
URSB Fax: +256 414 250 712