What Is Bake A Cake?
When a cake or bread bakes or when you bake it, it cooks in the oven without any extra liquid or fat. Bake the cake for 35 to 50 minutes. [ VERB noun] The batter rises as it bakes
How To Bake A Cake Without An oven In Uganda
If you don’t have access to an oven or don’t want to turn your oven on during hot weather, you can still enjoy homemade cake by utilizing an alternative cooking method.
Some of the easiest, most common options include steaming, slow cooking, and microwaving.
Before the invention of gas and electric ovens, Cakes and other snacks were baked successfully on the stove top and also enjoyed by all.
And even with the new inventions, we can always fall back on the old baking methods whenever we simply run out of electric power/gas or when our conventional ovens fail us (just like it happened to me yesterday).
So here’s how to bake cake without an oven.
I got the dry pot directions from fauziaskitchenfun, but changed it a bit to suit the size of my pot and cake.
For the Cake Batter:
- 300 grams Plain flour or Cake flour
- 150 grams Sugar
- 3 eggs
- 120 grams Butter
- 3 tablespoonful Milk(optional)
- 1 leveled tablespoon Baking Powder
- Flavor of choice( I used vanilla)
- 1 teaspoon browning (see how to make cake browning)
You can also make use of any of these cake recipes;Banana Cake, Apple Cake or Fruit Cake recipe.
For Baking the Cake you’ll need:
- A large aluminium pot with a lid(cover)(preferably an old clean pot)
- A rack or an aluminum bowl that can fit into the pot
- Foil paper(optional)
– Medium sized gravel stones, flat bricks or sand can also used as a base for the pot, but be very careful when making use of sand because it can accidentally get into the cake batter(you know we can never be careful enough).
If you plan to bake cake with sand or stones, click here for step by step procedures and video recipe and Don’t forget to wash the gravel stones thoroughly and also make use of ”clean” sand(without dirt/debris).
1. First prepare your baking pan by either lining with a parchment paper or greasing with butter and then dusting lightly with flour.
Next, place an iron rack (or high aluminum plate or iron gauze) into a clean empty wide pot, cover the pot really tight and preheat on high heat for 10 minutes.
Quick tip: Make sure the pot is quicky clean, with no dirt or burnt crust in it, if not it will smoke when heated up.
If you want to bake the cake on sand or stones
While the pot is heating up, beat the butter and sugar together in a bowl, until creamy; add the eggs and beat well; add the milk,flavor and coloring, also beat well and finally sift in the baking powder and flour. Combine all together and pour into the prepared baking pan.
2. Carefully, open the now hot pot and place your cake pan on the hot rack .
Tip: You can cover the pot with a foil (before placing the lid)to prevent heat from escaping through the sides of the lid)
Important: Never place the cake pan directly on the bottom of the pot, or the cake will burn. Always make sure there is a seperation between the cake pan and the hot pot or sand.
3. Now cover the pot again and leave the cake to bake well on medium heat for about 5 minutes, then reduce to low heat and let the cake continue baking for 15 to 30 minutes(depending on the size of the cake you are baking).
Tip: if you are using foil plate as a baking pan,you’ll have to check the cake earlier,’cos the cake will get done faster in a foil plate.
BE CAREFUL, THE POT WILL BE VERY HOT.
4. After 15 minutes open up the pot and check for doneness by dipping the center with a skewer/toothpick. If the skewer comes out clean, then the cake is done baking, but if it comes out moist, let the cake bake a little longer and test with the skewer again, after 5 minutes.
This cake took about 30 minutes.
5. When the cake is done, take it out of the hot pot and leave to cool for 10 minutes before turning it over on a cake rack or plate.
Serve and Enjoy ☺.
Below is a detailed video on How to bake Cake on Sand
This second video will also show you how to bake cake in an empty pot (without sand) without an oven
We love you comments, so feel free to ask questions and send us your feedback if you try out this method.
How do I bake a cake in Uganda?
- 175g (6oz) margarine or softened butter
- 175g (6oz) caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 175g (6oz) self-raising flour, sifted
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Heat the oven to 180°C (gas mark 4).
- Put all the ingredients into a large mixing bowl and beat with a wooden spoon or a hand-held mixer for 1 minute, or until just combined
- Pour or spoon the mixture into the tin, smooth the top and bake on the middle shelf of the oven for about 45-50 minutes.
Uganda cake Prices Lists
- Chocolate cream cake. From 45,000USh.
- Chocolate Strawberry Cake. From 45,000USh.
- Chocolate Caramel Cake. From 45,000USh.
- Mocha Cake. From 45,000USh.
- White Chocolate Cake. From 45,000USh.
- Black Forest Cake. From 45,000USh.
- White Forest Cake. From 45,000USh.
- Vanilla Mint Cake. From 45,000USh.