What Is A CBO?
Under the NGO Act, a Community Based Organization means an organization operating at sub county level and below, whose objectives is to promote and advance the wellbeing of the members of the community. From the definition, a CBO is required to operate at Sub County Level or below.
How To Register A CBO In Uganda
A Community Based Organisations (CBO) is an organisation operating at a subcounty level and below whose objectives is to promote and advance the well being of the members of the community.Community Based Organisations are registered at the district level by the District NGO Monitoring Committees (DNMCs) with recommendation from the Sub-county NGO Monitoring Committees (SNMCs).
REQUIREMENTS FOR REGISTRATION OF A COMMUNITY BASED ORGANISATION (CBO)
|1.||A cover letter addressed to the chairperson of the District NGO Monitoring Committee seeking for registration of the CBO.|
|2.||Fill Form K.|
|3.||A registered copy of the constitution of the Community Based Organisation to be registered.|
|4.||A recommendation from the Sub county Non-Governmental Organisations Monitoring Committee.|
|5.||A work plan and budget or strategic plan for the Community Based Organisation.|
|6.||Proof of payment of the prescribed fees.|
REQUIREMENTS FOR RENEWAL OF A PERMIT OF OPERATION OF A COMMUNITY BASED ORGANISATION
A CBO whose permit expires, but continues to operate without renewal of its permit will be fined ten currency points (UGX 200,000) for every month of operation in default of renewal of the permit.
The Requirements For Renewal Of A Permit Of Operation For A Community Based Organisation
|1.||A cover letter addressed to the chairperson of the District NGO Monitoring Committee seeking for renewal of a permit of the CBO.|
|2.||Fill Form H1|
|3.||Copy of financial report|
|4.||Copy of the annual report|
|5.||Minutes of the annual general assembly or the governing body|
|6.||Work plan and budget or strategic plan for the Organisation|
|7.||Evidence of payment of prescribed fees|
REQUIREMENTS FOR FILLING ANNUAL RETURNS OF A COMMUNITY BASED ORGANISATION
|1.||A cover letter addressed to the chairperson of the Sub-County NGO Monitoring Committee submitting Annual returns;|
|2.||Fill Form S.|
|4.||A copy for annual report.|
|5.||Minutes of the general assembly or governing board.|
FEES:In Uganda TO REGISTER A CBO IN UGANDA
|1.||Fees for a Certificate of Registration of a Community Based Organisation||Ugx 40,000|
|2.||Fees for a Permit of Operation of a Community Based Organisation.||Ugx 60,000|
|3.||Fees for renewal of a Permit of Operation of a Community Based Organisation||Ugx 60,000|
|4.||Fees for submission of Annual returns of a Community Based Organisation||Ugx 40,000|
HOW TO SUBMIT THE APPLICATION
REGISTRATION / RENEWAL OF PERMIT OF A COMMUNITY BASED ORGANISATION (CBO)
Submission of the application should be made to the District Community Development Officer’s (DCDO) office in the respective district in hardcopy in a well labelled spring file. For ease of crosschecking and verification, documents in the spring file should be arranged according to the order in the table of requirements above.
FILLING ANNUAL RETURNS OF A COMMUNITY BASED ORGANISATION
Submission of the Annual returns should be made to the Subcounty Community Development Officer’s (DCDO) office in the respective sub-county in hardcopy in a well labelled spring file. For ease of crosschecking and verification, documents in the spring file should be arranged according to the order in the table of requirements above.
What Are The Limitations Of CBOs Over Other Entities Like NGOs?
Like any other entity, CBOs also have limitations that do not make them most favourable for some people depending on their objectives. Some of the major limitations include the following:
- The aspect of geographical limitation is a major hindrance to the operation of most CBOs. For instance, a CBO whose aim is to care for persons living with HIV/AIDs is limited to serving such individuals up to the sub-county level even when it has the capacity to serve in the entire district, region, or even countrywide.
- Most communities are deprived of best practices from other regions which would have fostered their wellbeing. The activities of most CBOs are only limited to the culture and ways of life of the community.
- Finally, CBOs also face the challenge of limited secure and financial structures. Most CBOs can only mobilize for resources and funding within their communities which hampers their growth and intended positive impact.
Why Should You Register A CBO?
- Unlike other entities like companies limited by guarantee or Non-Governmental Organisations, (NGOs), CBOs are organisations that operate at a sub-county level and below whose objective is to promote and advance the wellbeing of the members of the community.
- CBOs are also easy and inexpensive to form and operate. Thus, there is no need of hiring technical people to help you in the operation of the organisation.
- Given their geographical limitation, that is, operating at a sub-county level and below, CBOs have a niche within a community of operation which promotes community-led innovation and growth.
Who Can Register A CBO?
- Every Ugandan citizen has a right to register for a CBO either individually or with others.
- Non-Ugandans may also register a CBO upon registration of a name with Uganda Registration Services Bureau (URSB).
What Are The Required Documents?
The following documents must accompany the application form:
- A copy of the constitution of the CBO intended to be registered.
- A recommendation letter from the Sub County Non-Governmental Organizations Monitoring Committee.
- A work plan and budget or strategic plan for the CBO.
- Proof of payment of the prescribed fees.
- See the link below for the necessary documet
Issuance Of A Certificate Of Registration
Upon fulfilment of the above requirements, the District Non-Governmental Monitoring Committee issues a certificate of registration and a permit to the CBO indicating the following:
- The name of the CBO;
- The objectives or activities of the CBO;
- The date of registration;
- The registration number; and
- The Geographical area of operation.