University College of Education Zanzibar Entry Requirements
Non-Degree Entry Requiremnent
Zanzibar University admits students based on TCU and NACTE guidelines and, therefore, all applicants are advised to abide with the updated criteria provided as follows:-
Minimum Admission Requirements for Certificate Programmes (NTA LEVEL 4)
From NACTE guidelines, students shall be admitted into the various programmes basing on the following admission and/or registration requirements:-
- Possession of at least four passes of relevant Form IV (O-Level) subjects or its equivalent established by National Examinations Council of Tanzania (NECTA); OR
- Possession of at least two passes (Engineering Sciences) at Form IV level or its equivalent established by NECTA or NVA level 3 or its equivalent established by VETA.
- A mean Grade D, or its equivalent from countries that have 8 – 4 – 4 educational system.
Minimum Admission Requirements for Ordinary Diploma (UQF LEVEL 5 & 6)
From TCU guidelines, students shall be admitted into the various programmes basing on the following admission and/or registration requirements: –
- Possession of at least four passes of relevant Form Four subjects or its equivalent established by NECTA based on Tanzania education system AND NTA Level 4 Certificate. OR
- Possession of Advanced Certificate of Secondary Education (A-Level) with one principal pass or its equivalent (at least two subsidiaries) established by NECTA based on Tanzania education system, OR
- Possession of NABE AND NTA Level 4 Certificate, OR
- Possession of any Bachelor Degree from a recognised institution.
Minimum Admission Requirements for UQF LEVEL 6 Certificates (Pre-University Programme (P.U.P))
- Possession of NTA Level 5 Certificate, OR
- Possession of Advanced Certificate of Secondary Education Examination (A-Level) or its equivalent with at least one (1) principal pass or two or more subsidiaries; OR
- At least a pass in Diploma from recognized Universities or Institutions; OR
- Any first degree from a recognized University; OR
- A mean Grade C or above, or its equivalent from countries that have 8 – 4 – 4 educational system.
Bachelor Degree Entry Requirement
The minimum entry requirements as set by TCU and NACTE to join degree programmes are as follows:-
- For A-Level applicants, the minimum entry qualification is two principal passes with a total of 4.0 points and three credits at O’ Level.
- For the applicants with RPL qualification, the minimum qualification is ‘B’ grade.
- At least Four O’ Level passes (D’s and above) or NVA level III with less than four O’ Level passes or equivalent foreign qualifications as established by either NECTA or VETA; AND
- Ordinary Diploma (NTA Level 6) with at least GPA of 3.0 or
- Full Technician Certificate (FTC) with at least points average of 2.7 (where A=5, B=4, C=3 and D=2 points); or
- Diploma in Teacher Education with an average of ‘C’ grade; or
- Health-related awards such as Clinical Medicine with average of ‘B’ grade; or
- Credit class diploma for classified diplomas and certificates in terms of ‘distinctions, ‘credit’ or pass’ or
- Lower Second Class diploma for classified non-NTA diplomas; or
- Average of ‘B’ grade or Lower Second Class in recognized pre-entry programme offered by technical institutions accredited by NACTE for both A level and Diploma holders with lower than minimum entry requirements.
Additional Requirements for Different Degree Programmes
- Candidate applies for Bachelor’s Degrees in Business Administration; Islamic Banking and Finance; Procurement and Logistic Management; Information Technology; Economics; Nursing; Computer Engineering & Information Technology; and Telecommunications Engineering must: –
- Possess a Principal or Subsidiary Level pass in Mathematics at “A” level; OR
- Have passed Mathematics subject with at least a D grade at “O” level; OR
- Have a pass in Statistics or Mathematics Quantitative Methods at the Ordinary Diploma level.
- For engineering programmes, applicants must have studied Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics at A-level and at least passed in Physics and Mathematics.
- For a Bachelor of Science in Nursing, a candidate must have principal passes in Biology and Chemistry at A-level.
- Candidates applying for Bachelor of Law and Shariah must have an “O” Level Credit pass in English.
Postgraduates Degree Entry Requirement
- PhD Programmes
To be admitted into a doctorate degree at Zanzibar University:-
- A candidate must have obtained at least a good relevant Master’s degree from a recognized institution of higher learning.
- For candidates from institutions where Master’s degrees are classified, a minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 3.0 in a 5.0-grade system is required.
- An applicant would be required to submit a synopsis of the proposed study of 3-5 pages clearly indicating the title of the study, the research problem and the objectives.
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
To be admitted to this programme, the applicant must fulfil any of the following conditions:-
- Hold a good undergraduate degree of Zanzibar University in any discipline, or its equivalent from any approved institution or accredited institution of higher learning. Zanzibar University shall usually require a cumulative GPA of 2.7 in 5.0 grade system.
- Possess a postgraduate diploma in business studies or related fields from a recognised institution.
- Hold an advanced diploma from an accredited institution of higher learning, with a minimum of a second class, upper division and at least two years of working experience.
- Hold an internationally recognized professional qualification, such as CPA, ACCA, CA, and CSP plus two years or more of working experience.
- Master of Law (LL.M) in Comparative Laws
The general minimum entry requirements for admission into the programme of Master of Laws (LLM) in Comparative Laws are as follows:-
- A candidate must be a holder of the LL.B degree of not less than the second class awarded by the Zanzibar University; OR
- A candidate must be a holder of the LL.B degree of equivalent merit from any other approved institution; OR
- A candidate must satisfy the requirements for the award of the LLB degree, provided that the said LL.B degree shall be of CGPA 2.7 or above in 5.0 grade system; OR
- A candidate must be a holder of a Bachelor Degree in Islamic Law of not less than second class awarded by any other approved institution; OR
- A candidate must be a holder of Postgraduate Diploma in Law from any approved institution, and who is also a holder of a First Degree or Advanced Diploma in Law;
- A who has not taken, in his/her first degree, some core courses of either Common Law or Islamic law shall be required to take respective pre-requisite courses and pass their examinations so as to meet the minimum requirements.
- Master of Sciences in Economics and Finance (MSc Econ. & Fin.)
To be admitted to the programme, the applicant must fulfil any of the following conditions:-
- Hold a good undergraduate degree of the Zanzibar University in Economics (BA in Economics); OR
- Hold a good undergraduate degree of the Zanzibar University in Business Administration (BBA) or its equivalent; OR
- Relevant bachelor degree from any approved institution of higher learning.
- The Zanzibar University requires a bachelor degree cumulative GPA of at least 2.7 in 5.0 grade system.
- Master of Public Administration Programme (MPA)
The general minimum entry requirements for the admission into the program of MPA are as follows:
- A candidate must be a holder of a Bachelor of Arts in Public Administration of not less than the second class awarded by the Zanzibar University; OR
- A candidate must be a holder of any other Bachelor’s Degree of equivalent merit from any other approved University; OR
- A candidate must satisfy the requirements for the award of the Bachelor’s Degree, provided the degree shall be of GPA 2.7 or above in a 5.0-grade system; OR
- A candidate must be a holder of any Postgraduate Diploma from any approved University, and who is also a holder of a Bachelor’s Degree in any discipline (pass classification).
- Proof of English Language Proficiency is required for an applicant whose medium of instruction at university was not English.
- Possession of a minimum working experience of two years in the field of Public Administration will be considered an added advantage.