Applications are invited from suitably qualified Ugandans to fill vacant positions at Lira University. Handwritten or typed application letters should be submitted in triplicate to the office of the University Secretary, Lira University P.O.Box 1035, Lira to be received no
later than 18th March 2022. Please visit our website at: www.lirauni.ac.ug for details of the job.
Position: DRIVER (BUS)
Number of Vacancies: ONE (01 Vacancy)
Age Limit: 35 – 50 years
Purpose of the Job
To drive and ensure effective Maintenance of the University Vehicle.
▪ Uganda Certificate of Education (‘O’ level Certificate).
▪ Valid Driving Permit Class CH, CM, DL, DH, DM.
▪ Certificate of competence issued by Chief Mechanical Engineer, Ministry of Works
▪ Should have a badge from the Ministry of Works and Transport
▪ Elementary Motor Vehicle Mechanics Certificate is an added advantage.
▪ Certificate in defensive driving is an added advantage
Should have a minimum of five (5) years of driving experience with a reputable
▪ Basic Knowledge of mechanical and vehicle maintenance
Knowledge of traffic and highway safety.
▪ Ability to relate well to students and staff and willingness to learn University Systems.
▪ Ability to drive long distances.
▪ Clean driving record;
▪ Good eye sight (vision on both eyes).
▪ Public Relations and Customer Care;
▪ Self Confidence;
▪ Ethics and integrity;
▪ Time Management; and
▪ Drives the vehicle to support movements within and outside the University.
▪ Reports any vehicle malfunctions or needed repairs in time.
▪ Reports delays, accidents, or other traffic and transportation situations to the
▪ Checks the condition of tires, brakes, windshields wipers, lights, oil, fuel, and water
and safety equipment to ensure that everything is in good working condition.
▪ Complies with traffic regulations in order to operate vehicles in a safe and courteous
▪ Follows safety rules as students and staff are boarding and exiting the bus.
▪ Maintains basic records regarding the vehicles as instructed; and
▪ Ensures the safety of the vehicle while on duty
▪ Vehicle driven as assigned;
▪ Vehicle cleaned, maintained and minor repairs carried out;
▪ Mechanical faults reported;
▪ Basic vehicle records maintained; and
▪ Vehicle safely kept;
▪ Delays, accidents, or other traffic and transportation situations reported to relevant
▪ Traffic regulations complied with
▪ Condition of tires, brakes, windshields wipers, lights, oil, fuel, water and equipment
checked to ensure that everything is in good working condition;
▪ safety rules as students and staff are boarding and exiting the bus followed