Makerere University Postgraduate Admissions
The Academic Registrar, Makerere University invites applications for admission to Graduate Programmes (Postgraduate Diplomas, Masters and Doctoral Degree Programmes) for the Academic Year.
Applicants should have obtained at least a first or second class degree (or its equivalent) from a Chartered University at the time of completion. Applicants should also possess a Uganda Certificate of Education (or its equivalent) and a Uganda Advanced Certificate ofEducation (or its equivalent).
PhD Degrees by Research:
All Colleges offer PhD degrees by Research. Applicants for PhD by research should have a Master’s degree in a field relevant to their area of further studies. Applicants will be required to submit on-line applications their applications on line any time in Room 410, Level 4 with a synopsis.
All Graduate Programmes are PRIVATELY SPONSORED. Therefore applicants seeking sponsorship should have their applications endorsed by their respective sponsors where applicable. Applicants should note that the various fees payable to the University indicated in the document attached below for the various programmes EXCLUDE functional fees, accommodation, books, research and other expenses.
Makerere University Online Application Portal User Guide
1. Visit the Makerere University’s Admissions URL https://apply.mak.ac.ug
2. Sign up using full name, e-mail and Mobile No. Please note that your name must be similar to the one on your supporting academic documents for your application to be considered valid.
3. A password will be sent to both your e-mail and mobile number.
4. The system will prompt you to change the password to the one you can easily remember.
5. To fill a form (all form sections must be filled) the applicant clicks on the APPLY NOW button (for first time applicants) or MY PORTAL button (for renewal of application) displayed on the appropriate scheme i.e. Taught PhDs, Masters & Postgrad Diplomas, and OR PhD by Research.
6. All academic transcripts/certificates and passport photos should be scanned and uploaded on the system.
7. You can access the referees’ letter by following the following link:
These should be filled, scanned and uploaded.
8. Obtain a payment ref no. by clicking on “Pay for Form” button
9. Make payments at any of the banks used by Uganda Revenue Authority
i) Application fee= Ugx 50,000 (East African applicants) or Ugx 151,500 (International Applicants), for International applicants, application fees can be transferred either by EFT or any other means in UGX to a designated URA collection account in Bank of Uganda as follows:
Account Name: UGANDA REVENUE AUTHORITY COLLECTIONS
Account No: 003410158000002
Swift Code: UGBAUGKAU
Bank Name : BANK OF UGANDA
Bank Address: KAMPALA, UGANDA
Currency: UGANDA SHILLINGS
10. Strictly observe the closing date of Friday, 31st March, 2024.
11. All Applicants for Master of Laws (LLM) will do a Graduate Admission Test (GAT) consisting of an oral Interview and written test on dates and other requirements to be communicated by the School.
12. All Applicants for Master of Business Administration (College of Business and Management Sciences and Makerere University Business School) will do a GMAT test on dates to be communicated by College of Business and Management Sciences and Makerere University Business School respectively.
13. In addition to the general admission requirements, applicants for Master of Public Infrastructure Management (MPIM) must have “Proven professional experience of at least 2 years at managerial/supervisory level or policy-decision making position in a government, parastatal organ, international organisation or non-governmental organisation” Applicants should attach a 2- page short CV and referee recommendations.