Mercy Corps has been operating in Uganda since 2006 and works to catalyze change through the Ugandan private sector, civil society and government to create resilient, economically inclusive, healthy, and secure communities. Our work focuses on building resilience and enabling economic growth, improving opportunities to attain better health and nutrition, improving governance and conflict management, and bridging humanitarian response with longer term development outcomes. We implement programs in Acholi, Karamoja and West Nile Sub-regions, as well as eastern Uganda and the greater Kampala area with funding from USAID, Sida, US State Department, SDC, DFID as well as other private donations.
Job Summary: The Finance assistant is responsible for management and safety of assigned field office Cash, Mobile money and other assets. He/she is also responsible for compliance with Donor and MC internal policies and timely submission of quality reports as required.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage the office cash, Mobile Money (MM) and other assets, ensure they are in a secure and protected place.
- Make sure all required documents are attached; calculations are correct, appropriate approvals and reviews made per the AAM before payment of any cash or bank payments.
- Keep record of all cash, bank and advances on an excel worksheet, update every day and reconcile daily.
- Do cash count weekly, monthly and whenever needed with Senior Finance Officer, Director of Programs, Finance Director, Country Director and official auditors directed by the supervisor.
- Make accurate daily entry of field cash transactions to the accounting software under the supervision of the finance officer
- Make copies of all cash and Bank documents to be maintained at the field office and Submit to Kampala original copies on weekly basis as per the transaction entered in the system
- Ensure all transactions are well coded following the standard chart of accounts and coded budget
- Make payments for approved and financially reviewed Online payments for field
- Manage the bank relations in liaison with the FC/SFO as required e.g. Bank A/c Data, Bank statement, signatory/Agent changes, A/c opening/closing etc.
- Maintain finance IN/OUT document tracker, generate and submit quarterly document processing reports to management
- Follow up on vendor receipts/proof of payment and ensure they are attached on respective payments documents
- Maintain an updated Advance register, ensure staff advances are cleared within limits as per MC policy
- Stamping all transaction with PAID and CLEARED stamp respectively as per policy
- Receive all documentation from other departments for financial review and as well track and update all documentation in and out of finance department
- Any other tasks to be assigned by the supervisor.
- Supervisory Responsibility: None
- Accountability: Accountable to all Mercy Corps policies and regulations as established by HQ and Mercy Corps Uganda.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal applicant must hold a bachelor’s degree in finance or Accounting
- At least 2+years’ experience as cashier, finance assistant and/or accountant.
- International NGO/PVO experience is preferred.
- Accounting skills and experience in general ledger, journal entries, payroll, cash/bank mgt.
- Computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel and accounting software experience.
- Excellent oral and written English skills
- Willing to travel to Mercy Corps offices and take temporary assignments.
- Success Factors
- An ability to support programmatic objectives with timely and meaningful financial information is essential. A demonstrated ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and process information in support of changing program activities is necessary. An impeccable professional standard of finance and procurement ethics as well as the willingness and ability to enforce compliance with Mercy Corps and donor policies and procedures is essential.
Method of Application
Deadline: 4th March 2020