Uganda Management Institute Applications For a Masters in Public Administration (MPA) Programme (ICAPA ACCREDITED)
The MPA programme at UMI was started in 2010 with an initial enrollment of 36 students. It has grown to a current enrollment of 75 students. The program that was first accredited by Uganda National Council of Higher Education at inception later underwent mid-term review and reaccredited in 2018. Recently in 2019, the MPA became ICAPA accredited making UMI the first Institute in Africa to earn full international accreditation from The International Commission on Accreditation of Public Administration Education and Training Programs (ICAPA). Based, in Brussels, Belgium, ICAPA is responsible for developing and initiating procedures for the international accreditation of public administration education and training programs, and its activities are based and built upon a set of standards developed by a joint United Nations/International Association of Schools and Institutes of Administration (IASIA) task force that the United Nations initiated in 2005. The ICAPA accreditation is awarded following a list of 8 indicators or standards issued by the United Nations through its Public Administration & Development Management Department. Hence, the UMI MPA which is offered under ICAPA standards is internationally recognized.
The programme has developed a very strong reputation for providing high quality knowledge and skills for new entrants in the public sector management and administration, performance improvement techniques for the public servants, as well equipping potential doctoral candidates with scholarly skills in the public administration field. The faculty of the program have also begun to play a significant role in providing policy guidance to senior Ugandan government officials through the establishment of the Uganda Development Policy Management Forum.
This programme is designed to enhance the skills of accomplished senior officials, who hold key positions within their organizations and those aspiring to have a specialized career in public administration. The curriculum provides a broad range of analytical and conceptual skills in critical areas needed for managing in a changing global environment. The programme curriculum uniquely gives skills in managing the critical human, financial and material resources of public sector organizations. Specifically, the Master in Public Administration aims at producing a skilled administrator who:
- Demonstrates awareness and knowledge of the political context of working in the public service,
- Understands and appreciates the theoretical foundations of public administration,
- Displays practical knowledge of all facets of public sector work
- Exhibits technical competence, and conducts oneself ethically, recognizing the broad responsibility toward serving the public interest in contrast to a more narrowly defined self-interest.
The curriculum for the current Master in Public Administration degree is by Coursework and Research. It is a two-year program, offered on weekends. During the first year, it requires the student to complete 12 modules, each of which are offered over the course of four consecutive weekends. During the course of the second year, all students prepare a required dissertation (Master’s thesis). The first and second years of the program also include occasional supplemental research seminars which are designed to augment the research module which is taken during the first year of coursework.
Applicants shall be holders of a Bachelor’s degree from an Institution of higher learning recognized by NCHE or a Professional Chartered qualification equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree, with a working experience of at least one year.
- ALL APPLICANTS shall submit applications online for admission through the Institute’s URL (https://admissions.umi.ac.ug)
- Scan and upload academic documents in one PDF file that will later be attached after filling the Form
- A non-refundable application fee of Shs.40,000/= for Ugandans, East African applicants or $26 or equivalent for international students per set.
- Signup using your Full Name, E-mail and Mobile Phone Number, please note that your name must be similar to the one on your supporting academic documents for your application to be considered valid.
- A password will be sent to both your e-mail and mobile phone number.
- The system will prompt you to change the password to the one you can easily remember.
- To fill a form the applicant clicks on the APPLY NOW button displayed on the running scheme.
- Obtain a payment advice slip by clicking on the “Pay for Form” button
- Successful applicants will receive their admission letters via their student portal
THE CLOSING DATE FOR SUBMITTING APPLICATIONS IS 25TH MAY, 2022. UMI RESERVES THE RIGHT OF ADMISSIONS.
The Institute Registrar (UMI) Plot 44-52 Jinja Road, P. O. Box 20131, Kampala Tel: 0312 721000 E-mail:firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com