UTAMU Admission Requirements
Uganda Technology and Management University UTAMU Admission Requirements
UTAMU Admission Requirements – Check below:
Admissions to UTAMU shall be open to all qualified national and international persons without discrimination. A student is admitted into an academic program when he/she meets the entry requirements into that program and level. Admissions into UTAMU is conducted under the guidance of the National Council for Higher Education and with the approval of the Senate.
- An applicant will be admitted upon fulfilling the following basic requirements:
- Academic achievement,
- Good character,
- Financial support,
- The University reserves the final decision on matters of admission, retention, and withdrawal.
- A candidate admitted to a degree program, diploma or certificate in any School shall comply with conditions and meet the guidelines set in the University’s admission policy. The admissions committee has the right to admit or refuse admission of any applicant.
- Registered students in another higher education institution in the Republic of Uganda or any recognized institution of learning who desire to be admitted to the University should apply for credit transfer through the academic registrar’s office
Ordinary Diploma Programme Admission Requirements
The minimum entry requirements for admission to an ordinary diploma programme are:
- A candidate must have obtained:
a) At least five (5) passes at the Uganda Certificate of Education or its equivalent at the same sitting;
b)At least one (1) principal pass and two (2) subsidiary passes obtained at the same sitting or its equivalent.
Bachelor’s Degree Programme Admission Requirements
The minimum entry requirements for admission to a Bachelor’s degree programme are:
- Direct entry
(a) At least five (5) passes at the Uganda Certificate of Education (UCE) obtained at the same sitting or its equivalent
(b) At least two (2) principal passes at the Uganda Advanced Certificate of Education (UACE) obtained at the same sitting or its equivalent.Conditional admission will be verified after getting the Uganda National Examinations Board (UNEB) Results print – out.
Within the framework of the general direct entry requirements, there may be Special Faculty Requirements which a candidate must fulfill to gain admission to a programme in a specific Faculty.
- Mature Age Entry
(a) A candidate must be at least 25 years of age
(b) The candidate must have passed Mature Age Entry Examinations with 50% mark or above
(c) The Mature Age Entry Examinations must have been taken at a Centre approved by the NCHE
(d)No candidate who had previously attended a programme at UTAMU shall be readmitted to the University under this scheme to a programme of study in which he/she failed to qualify during his/her previous attendance.
- A Diploma Holder`s Avenue
A candidate must have obtained at least a second class/credit diploma or the equivalent performance which is relevant to his/her desired field of study from a recognized institution.
- Foundation Programme Certificate
- A candidate who holds a Foundation Programme Certificate from a recognized institution is eligible for admission.
- A Degree Holder’s Avenue
a) A candidate must have a degree in an accredited programme from a recognized institution.
b)The candidate shall be considered for admission to a field relevant/related to his/her degree.
c) The candidate must have met the minimum requirements for admission to the degree programme he/she has completed.
- Holders of Bachelors Degrees in Sciences In order to be eligible for admission into the degree programme, a candidate must:
- Possess a Bachelors degree in a field relevant/related to his/her programme of choice.
- Have obtained the above qualification from a recognized institution of higher learning in his/her country, which is recognized by UTAMU
- The candidate must have met the minimum requirements for admission to the degree programme he/she has completed. UTAMU Admission Requirements
- Foundation Programme Certificate
- A candidate have done their secondary education outside Uganda (or a Ugandan who failed to meet the minimum entry requirement for a degree programme) but who holds a Foundation Programme Certificate accredited by National Council for Higher Education (NCHE). In addition to the Higher Education Certificate;
- Candidates are required to have met the minimum O’ level requirement of the programme he or she is applying for.
- Candidates seeking admission to a degree in any School after completing the certificate programme shall possess a certificate issued by the Academic Registrar, stating that they have satisfied the conditions to be registered for a degree programme.
- A student should have obtained a Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of two (2.00) in the certificate programme to be eligible for admission into a degree programme.
- A Holder of a 12 – Year-System of Education Certificate
The University may consider for admission to a degree programme a candidate who has successfully completed a 12 – year – system of education provided that such a candidate has been registered at another University, prior to applying to UTAMU, for a degree programme and has successfully completed at least one year of University education. Such a candidate must, however, submit the University academic transcript from that other University.
- Special Entry:Applications submitted by candidates who do not meet the traditional entry criteria can only be considered after consultations with the NCHE for guidance and with the approval of the Senate.
- Admission to Other than the First Year Admission to the second or third or any other year requires the special consideration and permission of the relevant Faculty Board and the Senate in accordance with the University policies on Exemption and Credit Accumulation and Transfer. UTAMU Admission Requirements
Postgraduate Degree Programmes Admission Requirements
The minimum entry requirements for admission to a Postgraduate degree programme are:
- The postgraduate diploma includes classroom/online based teaching and a research project.
- For a candidate to be admitted into any postgraduate diploma programme, the candidate must have a degree from UTAMU or any other recognized University with a minimum of pass class degree in a relevant field, or Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 1.5 on 5 points grading system, or
- Higher National Diploma (HND) at credit level in related field of study from a recognized University or any other institution considered as equivalent.
Master’s Programme Admission Requirements
The Master’s degree programme consist of coursework and research leading to the submission of a thesis. To be admitted into the any of our Masters programmes the applicant;
The minimum entry requirements for admission to a Master’s degree programme are:
- A student must possess a Bachelor degree of UTAMU or of any recognized University by UTAMU Senate in the relevant field. A professional qualification from a recognized institution may be considered for admission to a professional Master’s degree.
- Should possess a Postgraduate Diploma in the respective areas of specialisation. Such an applicant will be admitted to 2nd year of the corresponding master’s programme subject to the Postgraduate Diploma having been obtained from a recognised institution and assessment of the courses done. After the assessment, some holders of the Post graduate Diplomas shall be required to do additional courses first before proceeding to the 2nd year of the master’s programmes which includes a research dissertation.
The UTAMU Credit Transfer policy will apply for all master’s students on related programmes at recognised institutions wishing to transfer to UTAMU
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) Admission Requirements
In response to the need for more PhD holders within and outside Uganda, Mbarara University of Science and Technology (MUST) and Uganda Technology and Management University (UTAMU) developed a joint institutional capacity building programme initially focusing on PhD training by research.
The normal minimum entrance qualification for registration for the joint PhD programme include:
- A Master’s degree from a recognized university in a subject appropriate to the programme to be studied; or
- A professional or other qualification obtained by written examinations and approved by UTAMU or MUST as an appropriate entrance qualification for the PhD degree in question.
- An applicant is considered for provisional admission into the PhD programme upon submission of the following to the UTAMU or MUST Graduate School:
- A completed Application form should be submitted to MUST or UTAMU with the following documents:
- Two passport size photographs;
- Clear copy of passport and or any other valid identification;
- English language skill certificates or demonstration that one has had all prior education in English;
- Officially certified copies of all academic transcripts or certificates;
- An up-to-date curriculum vitae;
- A concept paper about the proposed PhD research can be downloaded HERE
- Two letters from referees; and
- Proof of payment of application fees.
- The application fee of UGX 100,000/= for E.A.C and USD 100 for Internationals is payable to the following account:
|Account Name||Account No||Bank||Branch||Swift Code||Currency|
|Mbarara University of Science and Technology||6000592666||Barclays Bank||Mbarara||UGX|
|Mbarara University Academic Registrar||8705608038800||Standard Chartered Bank||Mbarara||SCBLUGKA||USD|