VSF Germany is an International Non-Governmental Organization, providing humanitarian assistance and development aid to agro-pastoral and pastoralists and vulnerable communities in areas where livestock is of importance. In the Horn of Africa region, VSF Germany has been implementing programmes in South Sudan, Sudan, Kenya, Somalia and Ethiopia since 1998. Effective from January 2019, VSF Germany has expanded its programme scope to Uganda. VSF Germany programmes focus on Food Security and Livelihoods, Nutrition, Natural Resources Management, Peace-building, Water and Sanitation, Protection and Response to Disasters and Emergencies. Each country program is managed through the country offices and country teams. Country programmes are coordinated and facilitated from the Regional Office Nairobi (RON). The organization is a registered charity in Germany with its headquarters in Berlin.
Job Summary: The Capacity Development Officer reports to and works under the technical, functional and administrative supervision of the Project Technical Manager, and in collaboration with BUILD Uganda Program Coordinator and ILRI Component Leads, and all other project partners and student fellows across PPR and RVF, AMR and VPH components of the project. S/he also liaises with the designated component Focal Points of the Ugandan Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Industries and Fisheries (MAAIF), including the national district veterinary services authorities.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in the planning and implementation of capacity needs assessment activities.
- Contribute to development of training materials, extension communication materials and content creation for digital agricultural services.
- Contribute to the design, delivery and documentation of different training programs, meetings or workshops.
- Develop training materials and tools based on the guidance provided by his/her supervisor.
- Plan and facilitate specific capacity development training activities, including budget estimates
- Provide support to prepare meeting reports or other relevant documents.
- Develop and maintain electronic record keeping and database of capacity development outputs
- Contribute to development of blog stories, case studies or briefs showcasing impact of capacity development activities
- Maintain liaison and communication with different stakeholders for successful implementation and follow-up of capacity development plans and activities.
- Seeks and applies knowledge, information, and best practices from within and outside project
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more practice areas and acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
- Prepares materials (abstracts, posters, fliers, short articles, power point presentations etc) for use in seminars, workshops, conferences to disseminate project outputs
- Contribute to the development of bi-annual project reports and any other ad hoc reports as assigned
- Perform any relevant tasks relevant to the skill sets and the achievement of project goals as may be assigned from time to time.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Bachelor’s degree in relevant field with at least 7 years of field practice and experience. MSc degree in Extension, Rural Development, Education or related fields is preferred.
- Experience in adult education will be an added advantage
- Team player, self-motivated, ability to work with little supervision
- Ability to prioritize, problem-solve and meet agreed deadlines
- Understanding of capacity development and adult-learning principles
- Experience in mobile learning and creation of online learning and sharing platforms.
- Ability to multi task under tight deadlines
- Ability to think quickly and improvise when necessary
- Creative self-starter with an ability to work independently and as an integral part of a team to deliver results
- Focuses on results for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Results Focused
- Effective Communication and focus in building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Creativity and self-driven passion for the job
- Practical hands on work experience and knowledge of the target districts and regions.
- Ability to write briefs and concise reports
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines
- Familiarity with Uganda national livestock sector policies and strategies.
Method of Application
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their applications with the subject line “Capacity Development Officer” to the e-mail address: email@example.com and copied to firstname.lastname@example.org. The application documents should include the following, all in one document:**
Cover letter for application (max 1 page)
Updated CV of not more than 3 pages and with at least 3 professional referees.
Do not submit copies of transcripts, academic degrees, or recommendation letter at this stage as you will provide them up on request only.
NB: Canvassing for the position through unfair means shall lead to automatic disqualification.
Deadline: 28th February