The Regional Universities Forum for Capacity Building in Agriculture (RUFORUM) in partnership with Mastercard foundation, Gulu University and Egerton University are implementing an eight year program (2016-2024) aimed at transforming African agricultural universities and their graduates to better respond to developmental challenges through enhanced application of science, technology, business and innovation for rural agricultural transformation (http://www.ruforum.org/MCF). The program is supporting students that are economically disadvantaged, and/or coming from conflict and post-conflict affected areas of Africa. Interested applicants will undertake their academic training at Gulu University (Uganda) and Egerton University (Kenya).
2. Eligible Programmes
The RUFORUM Technical Committee (RTC) has identified the following priority programs for the academic year 2020/2021 as eligible for application and to be supported.
a). Gulu University
1. Master of Science in Food Security and Community Nutrition
2. Master of Science in Agri-enterprises Development
3. Master of Science in Animal Production and Marketing
4. Master of Science in Environmental Science and Natural Resources Management
b). Egerton University
1. Master of Science in Agri-enterprise Development
2. Master of Science in Horticulture
3. Master of Science in Natural Resources Management
3. Who is Eligible to Apply
This scholarship opportunity is open to African students of all race, colour, descent who in particular are economically disadvantaged and/or coming from conflict and post-conflict areas of Africa. The applicant has to be in position to qualify for admission into the eligible postgraduate programs at Gulu University and/or Egerton University as listed above. Students with scholarship of any kind are NOT eligible to benefit from this scholarship opportunity. Anyone with a double scholarship if found will automatically be discontinued. Continuing students are also NOT eligible.
4. Selection Criteria
1. Be a national of Kenya or Uganda to benefit from the national respective scholarship quota
2. Be a citizen of any African country to benefit from the Africa region scholarship quota
3. Be from economically disadvantaged, marginalized communities, coming from conflict and post conflict areas
4. Be less than 30 years at the time of application for the Master’s programme
5. The applicant should meet admission criteria to eligible programs in the University of choice (Egerton University or Gulu University). Continuing
students are NOT eligible
6. For admission into the two universities, one must have completed a relevant Bachelor Degree with a second class honours, upper division.
7. Demonstrate interest in agriculture, agribusiness and entrepreneurship
8. Demonstrate commitment to leadership
9. Have commitment to working in agriculture, agricultural value chains and rural development
10. Have a strong commitment to community engagement and transformation.
5. What the Scholarship Covers
This is a full board comprehensive scholarship that covers: tuition fees, one return air ticket for African students from outside Uganda and Kenya, research costs, workshop and conference costs, living expenses including stipend and hostel, laptop, internship attachment, community engagement and field attachment, and entrepreneurship training. Consequently, considering the level of investment, successful applicants will be required to become high achievers, highly engaging and focused students/graduates and change makers in their communities and Africa is general.
6. Nature of the Scholarship
1. This is a comprehensive scholarship that will be managed jointly by RUFORUM and the implementing university.
2. All scholarships will be on a rolling basis implying that annual renewable of funding is subject to satisfactory academic performance at grade B level of the respective university.
3. Retaking more than two courses will lead to the withdrawal of the scholarship awarded to the candidate.
4. Applicants who may be discovered to have falsified information in order to gain advantage of the scholarship shall be disqualified.
5. Successful applicants will be expected to become champions and transformative leaders, entrepreneurs and change makers at various levels and shall remain communicating with RUFORUM and universities for at least 5 years after completing their studies.
6. Any misconduct (breaching university rules and regulations including participation in riotous acts) on the part of the successful applicant shall lead to automatic disqualification and loss of the scholarship.
7. Application Process
a). Gulu University
Academic Registrar, Gulu University
Awich Road, Laroo Division, Gulu Municipality
P.O.Box 166 Gulu, Uganda
For additional information about the scholarship at Gulu University, please contact:
Assoc. Prof. Duncan Ongeng
TAGDev Program Coordinator
Faculty of Agriculture and Environment
Gulu University, Awich Road, Laroo Division, Gulu Municipality
Tel: +256 782673491 | Email: email@example.com
b). Egerton University
Prof. Nancy W. Mungai
TAGDev Program Coordinator, Egerton University
TAGDev office, Physics Block 1st floor
P.O Box 536-20115, Egerton Njoro, Kenya
Tel: +254 711 68 9880 or +254 720 390 893
c). Application Deadline
The deadline to apply for the MCF@RUFORUM Scholarships is 31st March at 17:00 Hours (GMT+3).
NOTE: PLEASE RETAIN THE GUIDE AND SUBMIT ONLY THE APPLICATION FORM
Download Application Form