Terre des Hommes Netherlands (TdH-NL) is an international NGO committed to stopping child exploitation. In East Africa, Terre des Hommes Netherlands works in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania and Ethiopia. We support child victims of exploitation with education, psychosocial support, legal assistance, shelter, job opportunities and medical care; while at the same time targeting highly vulnerable children, who are at risk of being exploited, in our prevention activities. We launch public and media campaigns to create awareness on our focus issues and carry out local research into the extent and nature of abuse and exploitation of children.
Job Summary: The Project Officer is responsible for providing substantive, organizational and administrative support in the preparation and execution of projects and / or programs. He/She is responsible for implementing the operational policy and coordinating daily work; To ensure that the programme of Terre des Hommes Netherlands in Uganda is developed, maintained and implemented at agreed levels of volume and quality, and meets with the defined country objectives. To ensure that the project partners deliver effective and efficient services to vulnerable children, in line with Terre des Hommes Netherlands’ strategy, policies and procedures, and as per partner contracts as entered into between Terre des Hommes Netherlands and the partners.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Coordinate Organisational policy adherence
- Coordinates and checks the execution of the work in the policy area where he/she is responsible, taking the necessary improvement measurements and informing affected parties.
- Analyse the project partners’ context and operational, organisational and project management.
- participate in conducting context analysis of proposed projects, including budgets, and evaluate whether the proposed project is in line with Terre des Hommes Netherlands’ policies, strategy and laid–down selection criteria such as formulated within the Calls for Proposals.
- Prepare the necessary documentation for approval of new and on-going partnerships and project proposals according to the Terre des Hommes Netherlands’ guidelines and formats.
- Advise whether or not to give the proposal further consideration and discuss the analysis with the country team, and others as appropriate, in preparation for final decision making.
Programme results for the partner and programme portfolio
- Support and monitor the project partners through regular communications and programme visits at least once per quarter
- Ensure that programme and finance commitments as per partner contracts are being fulfilled. Liaise with the Finance and Administration Manager regarding budgets and expenditure.
- Ensure that all scheduled partner and project reports such as progress and financial reports are delivered timely and that they are of good quality, according to Terre des Hommes Netherlands’ standards
- Support the Marketing and Communication Officer at the Regional Office with information and materials for marketing and communication, e.g. for the newsletters.
- Maintain the database and regularly update project documentation/ files for reference by all concerned.
Capacity building of partners
- Apply Terre des Hommes Netherlands’ tools in organisational assessment, M&E and capacity building.
- Identify together with project partners areas for further improvement on management and/ or programme quality of project partners and define frameworks, procedures and indicators oriented towards improved organisational and project management.
- Guide project partners, give capacity building training and give direction so that they improve on quality of work, efficiency, effectiveness of the desired outputs and sustainability of results.
- Safeguard project quality by maintaining an overview of supported projects and evaluating the quality of work and results.
- Ensure that project partners follow the terms and conditions of the signed agreements; facilitate them to keep track of key factors in project management, implementation and monitoring of results.
- Continuous coaching of partners on appropriate use of project management software as used by Terre des Hommes Netherlands
- Maintains internal and external work contacts.
- If necessary, maintains contacts with relevant parties regarding their own area of interest.
- When delegated, participate in relevant meetings and networks.
- Identifies possibilities for improvement of working methods and procedures.
- Continues making improvements in working methods and procedures.
- Has an active contribution to the continuous process of quality improvement for the provision of services on the specified policy area.
- As part of a team, translate developments and situation specific information into thematic and country annual and strategic policies.
- To assist in the continuous assessment of child protection needs and gaps in the country in order to ensure that these are appropriately reflected in project strategies and interventions.
- To identify new trends and developments in the area of child exploitation.
- Generate an individual implementation work-plan in line with agreed-on objectives
- As and when relevant, coordinate activities of assigned consultants for specific tasks, such as research, etc.
- Perform any other duties as relevant for the country programme and as can reasonably be expected from the position, in consultation with the country team.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, such as development cooperation, child rights,, social work. Education , community psychology etc.
- At least five years of experience in a similar position
- Experience with Child Rights based programming is an advantage
- Experience with Lobby & Advocacy
- Proven experience in capacity building of civil society organisations
- Knowledge of and experience in project cycle management, including the use of logical framework, theory of change and other planning tools
- Experience of working with Child labour and education initiatives
- Experience with financial management
- Showing the initiative to take action and get the job done before that is asked of you.
- Plans and organises own work in a logical way.
- Works in a goal-oriented manner and within a framework aimed at achieving results.
- Works together at own initiative to make a contribution to the achievement of shared objectives.
Method of Application
All candidates should please send their motivation letters and curriculum vita by e-mail to:- firstname.lastname@example.org clearly demonstrating how you meet the qualifications for this position.
NB: Note that due to the expected large response only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. The selection procedure will also include an assessment test, and checking of recent professional references.
Deadline: 28th February 2020